Friday, September 11, 2009

Ask the Engineer "What Happens with Storm Damage?

I received a call today from a contractor who is in charge of an insurance claim to repair storm damage to one of our homeowner's home. Approximately twenty feet of Waterloov gutter protectors needed to be replaced and he wanted to place an order for the material.

I decided to ask him if he might be interested in representing a superior performing gutter protection product.

He told me that he had never seen a gutter guard that didn't either let the gutter clog or clog itself and that he is associated with a gutter installer who uses a name-brand screen product. Even the one his associate uses clogs inside the gutter and it also accumulates debris on top of it that has to be cleaned off.

Well, I shared with him that the gutters covered with the Waterloov Gutter guard never clog inside the gutter but that in heavy debris conditions the louvers can clog.

He found my statement about the gutters never clogging inside a pretty bold statement. I didn't have to defend it at all as I simply suggested that since he's working on one of our installations he take a look for himself. He verified that the home was in a very heavy tree debris area.

As far as the gutter covers clogging, I said that I had no idea as to whether the homeowner had been keeping up with any maintenance and that if any was required it could easily be done with a telescopic pole and brush. But I was certain that the inside of the gutter was clean and free flowing.

He agreed to take the challenge and see for himself. I'll talk to him in a few days to confirm his findings.

1 comment: